Sunday, June 8, 2014

My illness 'stole my life'

My illness 'stole my life'
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation/assignments/living-with-an-invisible-illness/10104212/My-illness-stole-my-life

"I live in constant fear. This sounds over dramatic but the reality of living for years and years with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome was horrible, just the worst thing I had ever experienced.

I had severe Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (or myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME)) for more than five years. Most symptoms have eased now, but I am constantly worried it will return. I am terrified it will come back and steal my life again.

I am very careful about over-extending myself, I can't stay up late or skip meals because over time that leads to the symptoms coming back, which is completely disabling.

I also can't over do exercise as any type of exhaustion sets me up to head back down that path. So even now my life is limited by the after effects and how I try to prevent this illness from taking hold again."

Blog Archive